Friday 1 February 2013

Long Time, No Blog

I'm afraid to say I have neglected my blog somewhat, but it seems it has had some interest and use. I recently received emails from people who had been looking for an insider's opinion on working at MKC. I certainly replied and will be sure to post a full review on here asap. In short, it was a terrible place to work and I'm glad to say I found a new job, and am in a much happier place.

I also changed house, choosing to live on my own for the first time. It has been wonderful. I wasn't sure how well I would fair on my own, but I have found the solace comforting, and besides, my wonderful boyfriend has kept me company when he could.

From August 2011 I was living in constant challenge in all areas of my life, struggling to to do the job expected of me, struggling to forge and maintain any sort of friendship with people around me and lacking a secure, comfortable home environment, not to mention an uncertain love life.

After I met Wen at the end of the next April, I found having him in my life helped take the edge off and my social and home life became a little easier to weather.

I searched for several weeks before I found jobs I actually wanted. A foreigner living in Shenzhen doesn't need to fear unemployment or redundency, as they might in their own recession-sruck country, but a foreigner wishing to enjoy their work, to be treated with more value than just a superficial show of respect, and to be given the opportunity to make a real difference, needs to peer past the first dozen trees in the forest. You know, the ones marked Wall Street English, Web International, English First and so on.

I am certain when I say that as of September 2012, I am in a better place in all areas of my life. However, the challenge of  living and working in China is still upon me. It tests my resilience, my courage and most of all, my patiences every day. There are so many things I don't have here but I know I should focus on what I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment